The wheel was adopted by the Chico Peace and Justice Center as a way of understanding the elements of peace and social justice and seeing their interconnections. Each “spoke” of the wheel addresses a group of related issues and problems in our world today: community, political action, spiritualism, health, poverty, environmental degradation, social cohesion, racism, and others.
The 10 Spokes on the Wheel are:
- Heart Unity: Forging connection and understanding across lines of race, religion, class, etc.
- Manual Labor toward self-reliance and simplicity
- Spiritual practice and fellowship
- Political Witness: Nonviolent action, engagement, and resistance
- Walking with the Poor: Service and mutual empowerment
- Building and nurturing community and interdependence
- Ecological Awareness and Responsibility: Honoring the unity of creation
- Health and Wholeness
- Withdrawing Support from the Violent Systems and Institutions: Building and nurturing nonviolent alternatives
- Right Sharing and Stewardship of Wealth and Resources